The concept of climate and culture continue to evolve, however, is generally understood to be the organization’s influence on employees motivation and behavior. It includes: organization’s structure, the system of rewards and punishment and the perceived warmth and support of those within the individuals “sphere of touch points”. It includes the formal and informal organizations policies, practices and procedures. It begins with clarity of the organizational vision, mission, values, goals and the accepted manner in attaining these goals. Marcus Buckingham (1999) describes 12 questions to ask to determine if your organization has a productive, positive, warm work environment. How would your employees respond to the following questions:
1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
3. At work do I have the opportunity to do what I do best everyday?
4. In the last 7 days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?
5. Does my supervisor, or someone at work, seem to care about me as a person?
6. Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
7. At work, do my opinions seem to count?
8. Does the mission/purpose of my company make me feel my job is important?
9. Are my coworkers committed to doing quality work?
10. Do I have a best friend at work?
11. In the last 6 months, has someone at work talked to me about my progress?
12. This last year, have I had the opportunities at work to learn and grow?