Tip of the Month – Life Balance
Most find their lives out of balance during the holiday seasons – here is a quick check list to use to rebalance your life.
- Getting your priorities clear is the first and most essential step toward achieving a well-balanced life. The important point here is to figure out what you want your priorities to be, not what you think they should be. Decide what really matters in life. Using the following process, prioritize the following: Financial/Material/Money | Job/Vocation | Family | Physical/Health | Relationships/Community | Spirituality/Religion | Education | Recreation
Step 1: If you could only focus on one area from the above list, what would it be?
Step 2: If you could add a second focus area what would it be?
Step 3: If you could add a third focus area from the above list, what would it be?
Step 4: If you could add a fourth focus area, what would it be?
Step 5: If you could add a final focus area from the list above, what would it be?
If you were honest in this process, you’ve defined your top five priorities. Now learn to focus on each area in real time; meaning if you chose family as one of your top five priorities, when you are with your family – then provide your family with your undivided attention.
- Focus on the priorities and drop all unnecessary activities. Protect and value your time and your priorities; if you don’t, no one else will. Learning to say no is a gift from GOD!
- Accept help… learn how to delegate…believe that others can do the job just as good as you (if not better)
- Learn how to DeStress yourself!
- Keep a positive attitude
- Understand that there are things which you cannot control
- Be assertive instead of aggressive (assert your feelings, opinions and/or beliefs instead of becoming passive, angry, defensive or retaliatory
- Breathe deeply – learn and practice relaxation techniques. Here’s a quick way to relax – go to my favorite vacation spot website – jamaicavillas.com – choose a villa and select more pictures. Imagine yourself there with those closest to you!
- Consult with your physician and develop a regular exercise plan. Try a nice leisurely family walk with your family after dinner.
- Develop a healthy and well balanced eating plan
- Manage your own time more effectively
- When you are away from the office, unless you’re on call, turn your office blackberry/phone off.
- . . Sleep.. . Laugh.. . Have Fun!
- Repeat steps one – six as often as needed. Try it with your family.
Happy Holidays & Thank You For Being A Member of TNFoL Family!